Thomas Wyeth

Thomas and Daughter Lila

Thomas Wyeth , 3rd son 5th Child of Robert and Jane (nee Runnalls) Wyeth., was born on 6 March 1849 in Willis St Wellington, New Zealand, died on 13 Apr 1940 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 91, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.  

Rachael Wyeth

Thomas married Margaret Rachel Ann McLeod on 17 Jan 1883 in Masterton, New Zealand, daughter of Angus and Catherine (nee Sinclair) McLeod  . Margaret was born on 12 Jan 1859, died on 12 Apr 1942 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 83, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand. Their children were:

Catherine Margaret Jane (June) Wyeth was born on 1 Feb 1884, died on 20 Apr 1929 in Levin N.Z. at age 45, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Alice Wyeth was born on 11 Aug 1885, died on 15 Feb 1983 in Levin N.Z. at age 97, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Norman Robert Wyeth was born on 26 Feb 1887 in Mt Bruce, Masterton, New Zealand, died on 16 Apr 1964 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 77, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Thomas Wyeth was born on 29 Sep 1888 in Mt Bruce, Masterton, New Zealand, died on 1 Dec 1970 at age 82, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Alexander George (Degs) Wyeth was born on 12 Apr 1890 in Mt Bruce, Masterton, New Zealand, died on 3 Aug 1980 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 90, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Margaret (Beaut) Wyeth was born on 5 Jun 1892 in Opaki, Masterton, died on 11 Feb 1979 at age 86, and was buried in Masterton, New Zealand.

Leslie Charles (Charlie) Wyeth was born on 4 Mar 1894 in Mt Bruce, Masterton, New Zealand and died on 18 Jun 1968 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 74.

Archibald (Archie) Wyeth was born on 16 Apr 1897 in Mt Bruce, Masterton, New Zealand, died on 7 Sep 1966 in Masterton, New Zealand at age 69, and was buried in Masterton Cemetery.

Lila Elizabeth Mary Wyeth was born on 22 Mar 1899 in Masterton, New Zealand, was baptised in Masterton, New Zealand, died on 14 Nov 1925 in Carterton, New Zealand at age 26, and was buried on 16 Nov 1925 in Masterton Cemetery.

Angus Sinclair (Clair Or Sinclair) Wyeth was born on 1 Jun 1902 in Masterton, New Zealand, died on 5 Aug 1967 in Puketeraki, Otago, N.Z. at age 65, and was buried in Puketeraki, Otago, N.Z.

(See below for extended narratives of children)


Thomas was born in Willis Street in Wellington on 6 March 1849, the third son and fifth child of Robert and Jane (nee Runnalls) Wyeth. His father landed at Britannia, now known as Petone, from the survey ship, Cuba, in 1839.

Thomas spent his youth in the Hutt Valley where he had vivid recollections of the floods that occurred in the Silverstream area in 1858.  One was standing upstairs in their two-story dwelling watching the floodwaters wash away adjacent buildings and their occupants.  Thomas’ father had taken up property at Silverstream, building several houses and establishing a little community in the shadow of the dense bush. This venture came to an ill-timed end on January 18, 1848 when the worst flood on record swept down the Hutt Valley, destroying farms and stock, and snatching 13 lives from the little community at Silverstream.  Thomas Wyeth, although a child at the time recalled the shocking tragedy.  It was summer and torrential rain in the backcountry rapidly produced an alarming increase in the volume of water in the Hutt River. The river burst its banks and the clearing at Silverstream was inundated until the water reached the eaves of the houses, threatening the occupants who sought refuge on the roofs.  Still the water rose, until the Wyeth’s saw the home of the Stanaway family lifted off its piles and float away in the swirling current. 

The Hutt Valley of Thomas' youth was very thickly wooded with one of the better Totara forests in New Zealand. It was from this bush chiefly, that timber was drawn with which the infant city of Wellington was built. Every day the forest rang with the blow of axes and the crash of falling timber.  As an indication of the extent of the timber industry in the Hutt Valley at that time, there were at least 27 wagon teams operating in the district.  As the four horse wagons each carried 2,000 feet of pit-sawn timber and made three of four trips into Wellington each week, that busy settlement must, at this time, have been absorbing over 80,000 feet of timber each week.

The superintendent’s message #4 dated 16, May 1867, recommended that the Provincial Government establish telegraph stations at Featherston and Greytown. Contract for the telegraph line was awarded to Thomas Wyeth of Landsdowne and his brother and the Masterton line was completed the following year. Thomas was a skilled reinsman and, with his brother Charles, carried the materials for the first telegraph line from Wellington to Masterton in about 1867. This was at a time when the roads were not remarkable for the quality of their surfaces and the only bridge between Masterton and the Hutt was the Black Bridge over the Waiohine River. Driving a heavy wagon loaded with copper wire and insulators was a man's task.  The first telegraph line consisted of two wires and took a more direct route than does the present line. The task of laying it through bush, from spur to spur across the Rimutakas was a difficult one. Many of the posts were cut on the spot. It was later found necessary to revert to the present route owing to the difficulty of maintaining a line that did not follow the road.

Tom and George Sykes and his sister Maria's brother-in-law, assisted in clearing across the Rimutakas for the Upper Hutt/Featherston portion of the Wellington-Wairarapa railway.  They introduced the American system of squaring timber into the Wellington Province, importing special axes with twelve-inch blades for the work. Prior to this ordinary ship's axes had been used for this tricky work and Tom described the difference as about the difference between sawn and dressed timber. During this time Tom squared over a half a million feet of timber for the construction of the railway line.Tom and his brother-in-law Isaac Sykes were responsible for squaring the timber used in the Railway Bridge across the Hutt River at the Haywards.

Champion Pedestrian From the Masterton “Times Age”

In his younger days Thomas was a fine athlete and held the New Zealand championship over two miles from 1866 to 1871. His athletic career was unfortunately cut short by a bush-felling accident in which his leg was broken. He held the Dominion title at the time and competition at these early meetings was keen.  At the 1866 meeting at Wellington, for instance, Thomas states that runners came from as far as Tasmania. He and his brother Charles, who was also a fine athlete, used to train on what was known as Clapham’s Paddock, on Thorndon Flat, opposite the old Princess Hotel. 

“The winning of the Old Men's Race at the recent St. Patrick’s Day Sports Association meeting by Thomas of Opaki, brings back to memory some of the great races he won in various parts of New Zealand in his younger days.” In his running days, handicaps were unknown and all men started off the same mark. Thomas used to compete in races from 100 yards up to three miles, but it was in the longer distance races that he was best known as a champion.  During the seven years he was running, from 1865 to 1872, he was never beaten in one mile, two miles, or three mile events, and at those distances was champion of New Zealand. He competed all over the colony and against the best runners in Australasia.”

Thomas’ first race was at the New Year's Day Sports in Wellington in 1865 which was a two-day gathering and was held in Martins Paddock.  It was the youth’s race, under 16 years of age, distance 220 yards that Thomas won easily. On the second day of the sports, he appropriated two more races he started in. It was on January 23 following that Thomas made his debut in "big" company; which was John Phillips, then champion of Wellington, McGuire (a crack long distance runner and afterwards member of the House of Representatives for Hawera), and C. Wyeth, brother of Thomas.

In the Mile Championship, for which there were thirteen starters including the before mentioned cracks, all starting off the same mark, Thomas created a great surprise by winning somewhat easily from Charles, who was second. Thomas competed at Wellington, Hokitika, Invercargill and various other parts of the colony, always appropriating the long-distance events and occasionally striking his colours in the sprint events.   In 1867, Isherwood, champion long distance runner of Cambridge, and one of the cracks of England, came to New Zealand and issued a challenge to race anyone in the colony over two miles. Thomas promptly accepted the challenge and the match came off at Silverstream where Thomas once again demonstrated his claim to being the champion long-distance runner of the Colony.  In 1871 at Invercargill, Thomas met the redoubtable Dawson of Invercargill, who was carrying everything before him in the long-distance events, and defeated him somewhat easily. Other notable runners Thomas met and defeated in long-distance events in those days were, G. Yule (now of, Pahiatua), the late Duncan McMaster (of Tuhitarata Station, Lower Valley), probably the finest all-round athlete New Zealand has ever seen, John Cotter (of Greytown), and Harrison (of Otaki). A great struggle took place in Wellington in 1868 between the latter, who was a half- caste Maori, and Thomas in the 1 ¼ Mile Championship, but Thomas eventually won giving up running in 1873, about which year handicaps began to be introduced.  This was the year the crack Wellington Pedestrian, G. Donovan, made his debut.”


Thomas was married in Miki Miki, Masterton on the 17th of January 1883 by the Rev. L. M. Isitt to Margaret Rachael Ann McLeod the youngest child of Angus and Catherine (nee Sinclair) McLeod. Rachael was born on the 12th of January 1859 in Scotland.Thomas and Margaret lived at `Rosebank' Mt Bruce and the actual house has been shifted to Opaki and restored. The couple have have six sons and four daughters, all of whom were born at Miki Miki.

Bush Fires in Wairarapa

After he left Mt Bruce, Thomas built a house in Totara Street in Masterton using timber from the Mt Bruce sawmill but as Thomas soon found out, bush fires are a danger in the Wairarapa. “The bush fires in the Opaki district are still burning, though not as fiercely as they did last week.  A large area of grass, miles of fencing, and a number of sheep have been destroyed. The number of sheep lost is not definitely known, as the settlers have been unable to muster their stock on account of the fires. During the past fortnight the settlers in the district have had a very trying time.”

“A few days ago about 400 acres of fallen bush on Thomas’ property caught alight from a fire in the vicinity, and Thomas with assistants, went to remove some sheep close by. They had mustered the sheep and were removing them to a place of safety when they found that the fire, which spread with remarkable rapidity had completely enveloped them. There was no course left to the musterers but to abandon the sheep and dash through the flames to a place of safety. The slip rails in the paddock were taken down in order to allow the sheep a chance to escape. There were 1000 sheep in the paddock, but Thomas was unable to estimate his loss. He, however, does not consider that his losses will be very great. He may have lost a few sheep, but he thinks that the majority of the sheep will have dodged the fire.”

Thomas’ farm property remained in the family and in ???? was being farmed by one of his Wyeth grandsons.

Mr & Mrs Thomas Wyeth Celebrate Golden Wedding

Mr and Mrs Thomas Wyeth, who last week celebrated their Golden Wedding are very well known residents of the Wairarapa. Thomas, at the age of 84, is an interesting personality with a keen mind and an active body. Practically the whole of his life has been spent in the Wellington province and if caught in a reminiscent mood, he is a very interesting talker. They celebrated at the home of their son-in-law, Mr. Norman Blatchford, manager of the Wairarapa Training Farm where forty-six relatives present. The couple received numerous congratulatory letters and telegrams from all parts of New Zealand and during the evening celebration, many speeches were made extending heartiest greetings. Thomas Jr of Mt. Bruce proposed the health of his parents in a neat speech with Thomas suitably replying. All of the family, except two were present for the celebration.

Maori Scares in the Hutt

Thomas had many stories to tell of the Maori scares in the Hutt Valley in his early days.  He recalls the erection of the blockhouse at Upper Hutt, which is still standing today, as well as the blockhouse at Lower Hutt, which was destroyed by the encroachment of the river. On occasions his family, in common with others settled in the district, took to the bush on account of rumours that the bloodthirsty Rangihaeata were coming down upon them. The settlers received little consolation from the presence in the district in large numbers of 'friendly' natives. For instance at the pa of the Heretaunga, chief ‘Taringa Kuri’ or “Dogs Ear,” who was so called on account of his sharpness of hearing, the 'friendlies' could be seen making bullets for the rebel Maoris.  “How they obtained the lead and powder is a question, states Thomas. There was a penalty of seven years imprisonment for selling ammunition to natives - and I know one man in Wellington who served such a sentence.  Still, the Maoris managed to make ball and obtain powder.  Numbers of them would disappear north occasionally and (significantly) some of them would not come back.”


Thomas died on the 13th of April 1940 in Masterton and is buried in the Masterton Cemetery. His wife Maggie died two years later on 12 April 1942 in Masterton and is buried alongside him.


Catherine Margaret Jane (June) Wyeth

June was born at Mt Bruce on 1 February 1884 the eldest child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

In 1908 June married Edward Jans Peter Petersen. Edward, known as Pete by his family, was born in Mauriceville on 11 January 1855 the eldest child of Christian and Matilda Marie (nee Mortensen) Petersen.

Pete started his working life as a farm worker on the farm of his Uncle Charlie Read .  Pete's diary recorded receiving his first pay of 7 shillings and 6 pence and using it to purchase his first pair of working boots.  Most of his early life was spent as a farm worker mainly around Martinborough.

From 1 December 1911 to November 1912 Pete was operating a general store at Kuripunui .  His account book includes Mrs G.R.Sykes; Mrs J.L.Murray; Mrs A McLeod, Cole St; Mr Thos Wyeth; Mr Edward Welch; Mr F. Calvert, as customers.

Prior to 1925 Pete was a farm Manager on a farm near Martinborough.  At this time his brother-in-law Fred Calvert was employed by a stock and station agency and made deliveries of groceries and other farm needs to out back farms.  June and her family received their groceries once a year on the Martinborough farm.

On 20 April 1925 Pete started out for Mt Bruce , his diary records that they received wages four weekly starting with 8 weeks wages on June 15 and continuing until Nov 30th in total 32 weeks.  It must have been shortly after this that they moved to Levin where they purchased a hill country sheep farm in Muhunoa East Valley south of Levin.

June died, in Amara Hospital, Levin, of cancer on 20 April 1929 aged 45, she had been sick for a number of years and had had a number of operations.  The inscription on her tombstone in Masterton Cemetery reads "At Rest."

Christian and Matilda Petersen

Christian and Matilda were both born in Denmark, Matilda in the city of Moen, they are both buried in Mauriceville Lutheran cemetery as are many of their family. Christian was a bullock driver by occupation.

Christian and Matilda's children were:-

Alice Christiana Maria Petersen, born Abt 1882, New Zealand, died Abt 1963, New Zealand marr Frederick Calvert.

Edward Jens Peter (Pete) Petersen, born 11 Jan 1885, Mauriceville, Wairarapa, died 18 Sep 1972, Palmerston North, New Zealand

Violet Eveline Anna Kate Petersen, born Abt 1887, New Zealand, died Abt1943, New Zealand

Arthur Olaf Petersen, born Abt 1890, New Zealand, died Abt 1969, New Zealand

Hedevig Emma Matilda Petersen, born 22 Jul 1892, New Zealand, died Abt 1984, New Zealand marr John Jimmison

Oscar Christian Petersen, born Abt 1895, New Zealand, died Abt 1965, New Zealand

Herbert Charles Stanley Petersen, born Abt 1899, New Zealand, died Abt 1964, New Zealand

Pete was remarried on 3 September 1933 to Doris Sheppard , the local Muhunoa school teacher. He died on 18 September 1972 aged 87. The inscription on Pete's tombstone reads "A beloved husband and father."

Pete's second wife Doris now lives at 70 Salisbury St Levin.

Tom Petersen
Tom Petersen

June's Family

Thomas Edward Petersen

Thomas was born in Masterton on 14 April 1909. His family moved to Levin when he was in his late teens.  

Tom went to work on the Hawkins' family farm a 72 acre dairy farm at the corner of Arapaepae Rd and Tararua Rd 2 miles SE of Levin.  It was here that he met the granddaughter of the family, LIVING and on 6 March 1937 they were married. Phyllis daughter of Jack and Kate (nee Hawkins ) Davies was born on 16 April 1912. Tom and Phyllis later took over the farm living in the family home until they built a new home in the early 60s. The major outlet for the farm was a supply contract to the Airforce at Kimberley.   Thomas and Phyllis had 2 children. Tom died on 25 November 1988 Phyllis now lives in Featherston St Levin.

(Note: Tom prepared a note about himself and his family which is avaliable only to family members who have registered for a user name)

Max Sinclair Petersen

Max was born in Masterton on 3 June 1911. Max purchased a bike shop in Levin in the early 1930s which he sold when he went into partnership in a garage in Waipawa and subsequently in Poi Poi. He married LIVING.      They had one daughter. They retired to Waihi Beach. Max died in 2002.


Roy and his sister Iris

Alice Wyeth

Alice was born at Mt Bruce on 11 August 1885 the 2nd daughter 2nd child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

In 1913 Alice married Roy Tankersley son of Richard Theophylus and Maria (nee Prentice) Tankersley

Alice was a sucessfull Florist in Carterton.

Roy was born on 13 May 1883 in Masterton. Roy is the younger brother of William Tankersley who married Lizzie Chamberlain daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (nee Wyeth) Chamberlain[3].

Roy worked for many years for an Orchardist in Carterton.

Roy died on 29 May 1962 aged 79 years.

See Biography in Waiarapa Times Age 6/6/1962 NZ Biog 1962 85 p44

In her later years Alice lived for a time at Wesley Haven in Lower Hutt and in 1974 she moved to Kowhainui Home in Wanganui. She died on 15 February 1983 aged 97. Alice and Roy are buried in Masterton Cemetery.

Alice's Family

Athol Roy Tankersley

Athol was born on 21 April 1915. He married Amy Johnson. Amy was born on 20 November 1914. Athol was in the Signal Corps in WW2 and was Mentioned in Despatches. Athol was killed in action on 18 February 1944 in Cassino Italy. Athol and Amy had 1 son. Amy remarried and became Mrs Kemp Gordon. Amy died in 1999.

Arch Hector Tankersley

Arch or Hector as he was known in some parts of the family was born in Masterton on 17 December 1917. Tank was married in St Andrew's Church, Ashburton on 22 April 1944 to LIVING. They had 5 children. Tank died on 31 December 2005 in Feilding.


Register of New Zealand Presbyterian Ministers, Deaconesses & Missionaries 1840 to 2008

Presbyterian Church of New Zealand Archives

TANKERSLEY, Rev Hector Arch ("Tank") MBE., BCom., LTh(Hons)., ACA 
b 17.12.1917
w Aimee Vera b 8.6.1919 m 22.4.1944
Theological Hall (special course) 1957-58
Ordained Assistant Minister Feilding MnP 4.12.1958
Knox Feilding (in charge) 23.3.1960
St Columba Johnsonville Union Wellington WnP 7.9.1967 - later, under his leadership, the Presbyterian parish negotiated with the local Methodist Church to establish a Co-Operating Parish. He actively assisted with planning for a new Church centre.
St James Wanganui East WgP 23.5.1973 
During his ministry at St James, he introduced the idea of a Parish Council rather than Session and Board of Managers. His commitment to it ensured that it succeeded well. 
Minister Emeritus 1977
In retirement served for 1 year in Levin and for a time in Dannevirke
"Tank brought many qualities to his ministry. One of them was that he was a perfectionist. Clearly he held the conviction that if a job was worth doing it was worth doing to the best of one's ability. This was evident in all areas of the life of the church in which he served 
and in all parishes. He readily faced challenges and, in meeting them, had the ability of taking his parish members along with him. 
He is remembered for the warmth of his smile, his dedication to every task he undertook, his practical application of the Word and the depth at which he touched people's lives." 
"We honour Tank as a mover, an enabler, an encourager and a true saint of God." 
(From Memorial Minute - edited)
Died 31 Dec 2005 at Feilding. 
Source -


Profile:Tank Tankersley, Levin RSA padre
A genuine concern for people 

Levin RSA padre, Arch (Tank) Tankersley. The 25 pounder gun in the background is of the type used by a British unit which saved them from a German attack during the siege at Tobruk. He was in the Western Desert in charge of YMCA canteens which served the troops. Throughout his life, in peace and war, the prime concern of Hector Arch Tankersley (Tank to friends and colleagues) has centered on people. As padre to Levin RSA, a position he has held for some seven years, this retired Presbyterian minister and former active service YMCA field officer in the Western Desert stresses: "Interest in, and concern for, people is still the chief thing in my life". As he thumbs through a pocket diary it is not difficult to see how this interest in people occupies so much of his time. He has notations, not only of welfare matters but also personal touches meticulously recorded, such as who is about to celebrate a wedding anniversary, a notable birthday and other special milestones in their life. He has all this at his fingertips but still doesn't feel he is doing enough. The RSA has had, its official padre for a number of years but usually it requires only 'fronting up' to take services on Anzac Day and the like. Levin is one of few associations with its own padre although all, including Levin, have welfare committees. On the welfare side Tank also has an input working in with the committee. He also has had past and current services on the executive of the RSA and is known to be not backward in putting his views forward forcibly when he considers something needs questioning. He is also readily available to those seeking his counsel and can be seen frequently mixing with members, enjoying a 'wee dram' occasionally of the beverage of his Scottish (McLeod of Dunvegan) forebears and even trying his hand at the games machines, but not consistently enough to make 'killings'. The abbreviation of his surname to Tank (he seldom gets his real name Arch), is not unusual for members of the family he says, though he quips: "I feel more like a jeep than a tank. The jeep made a more worthwhile contribution to the war. His personal contribution, which he is loath to discuss in detail, won him a shrapnel wound which he dismisses as "minor" and an MBE award which at the time "amazed me" as "I didn't know at that point what it meant". Born in Carterton in 1917 with a family background of early pioneer stock, his first job. after schooling was in a shop in Masterton at seven shillings and sixpence a week. It required cycling from Carterton six days a week whatever the weather. Colour & design was his forte and it was towards this he gravitated. After a time he got a wage rise to seventeen shillings and sixpence 'a small fortune'. His next move was to Wellington to, the firm of R. and E. Tingey, once again on the art side of its wallpaper production. He lived in the YMCA, a five-storey building with 100 residents. 'I got very involved with that." When he moved in as a resident this involvement "got heavy". When war broke out he went to Trentham as a YMCA welfare worker. He was then transferred to the Air Force at Blenheim and then Wigram. Asked if he was prepared to go overseas he responded "yes". Six of them were seconded to the British Imperial Force and he went with the first draft of reinforcements on the Nieu Amsterdam in 1941 bound for the Middle East. The British looked upon them as 'civvies'. 'I was sent up the blue" (desert). He was to find himself among the British units besieged at Tobruk - they were cut off for eight and a half months with no supplies coming in with any certainty. There was little to offer from the canteen. 'Mostly the work was all welfare - there was a lot of wounded. We utilised the caves the Italians had used to protect our wounded (from air attack). It was a grim situation. At one stage scurvy was feared but a destroyer managed to get 'through loaded with oranges and other vital things to alleviate this threat. The siege was broken in November. A series of break-throughs by the enemy was ultimately staved off. During the siege they were saved by the British artillery with those 25 pounders firing point blank at the German tanks. After the siege was ended it was possible to re-start the mobile canteen work. The canteen constructed on the frame of a Ford 3-tonner, looked like an army control vehicle and was targeted by the German Stukka dive bombers which left the canteen "looking like a colander" (completely riddled). They also got Tankersley -- shrapnel from an anti-personnel bomb struck him. From there, as the one in charge of the YMCA operations in the desert, it was for Tank a case of "right through with the advance to Tripoli". Here they set up a canteen in the house the Italian commander, Gratziani, had occupied. They were not there long before it was back to El Alamein. By this stage they had been issued army uniforms and he was in charge of seven mobile canteens, two staff in each. After the desert campaign was over it was back to New Zealand for Tank. It was then word came through of the award of that MBE. In New Zealand he was put in charge of the YMCA work in the South Island. He said he quite expected to have to go back to an overseas posting but it was to Harewood in the Air Force that he was sent and attested as a member of the forces. He was later discharged, got married and settled in Masterton. He was to return to his old firm of Tingey's in Wellington where he was a manager and a buyer. He got some of his own designs printed in the United Kingdom. 'My interest in people still persisted and 1 decided to do this through the church." He trained in theology at Dunedin. He set up a new parish in the post-war growth area of Feilding and he also set up a union parish (Presbyterian and Methodist) at Johnsonville. He retired to Waikanae where he spent seven years and then came to Levin. While at Waikanae he had been filling in at St Andrews, Levin, travelling to and from these towns. He got to know many people here including many from the RSA. "We have lived the longest period of our married life in Levin," he said. His wife Aimee, was the daughter of a Presbyterian minister when they married. They have brought up a family of five - two boys and three girls. He dismisses his experiences of the war as simply: "You do what you're told - you go where you're told. A very interesting experience." 
Source - The Chronicle Levin - June 24 1995


Norman Robert Wyeth

Norman was born at Mt Bruce, Masterton on 26 February 1887 the eldest son 3rd child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

In 1913 Norman married Ida Katherine (Kate) Blatchford. Kate was born in Masterton on 17 March 1885 the daughter of John and Margaret (Nee Morgan) Blatchford.  Ida's brother Norman and sister Doris both married into Norman's family.  


John and Margaret Blatchford

John was born in Cornwall on 5 November 1843,he arrived in New Zealand as a single man in 1863.  John met and married Margaret Louisa Morgan in 1874 in Upper Hutt. The wedding was a joint wedding with Margaret's brother Edward Morgan. Margaret was born in Plymouth, Devon on 11 March 1854.  Their children were.

Edward John Blatchford, born Abt 1876, New Zealand, died 12 Mar 1895, New Zealand

Emily Blatchford, born Abt 1878, New Zealand, died Abt 1858, New Zealand 

Frederick Walter Blatchford, born Abt 1882, New Zealand, died Abt 1942, New Zealand

Ida Kathleen (Kate) Blatchford, born 17 Mar 1885, Masterton, Wairarapa, died 31 Oct 1961, New Zealand

Norman Blatchford, born 26 Dec 1888, New Zealand, died 22 Feb 1974, New Zealand

Leonard Thomas Blatchford, born 21 Jan 1892, New Zealand, died 05 May 1974, New Zealand

Doris Mary Blatchford, born 16 Nov 1893, New Zealand, died 28 May 1984, Masterton, Wairarapa,

Ida Kathleen married Norman Robert Wyeth

Norman married Margaret Wyeth

Doris May married Archibald Wyeth

Norman and Kate farmed all their lives, owning farms at Mt Bruce and Opaki.

Kate died on 31 October 1961 aged 76, Norman died two and a half years later 16 April 1964 aged 77.  They are both buried in Masterton Cemetery.

Norman's Family

Erl Norman Wyeth

Erl was born in Masterton on 23 August 1914. He married Ida Elizabeth (Sally) Staniforth daughter of Frederick James and Myrtle Mary (nee Watson) Staniforth in Masterton on 11 March 1950, they have no children. Sally was born in Masterton on 8 March 1922. Erl and Sally both died in Masterton Hospital Erl on25 January 1998 and Sally on 7 December 2001.

Ronald Clive Wyeth

Ronald was born in Masterton on 28 January 1920.  Ronald lived at Opaki RD6 Masterton, he did not marry. He died 5 February 1998.  

Leo Kenneth Wyeth

Leo was born in Masterton on 6 November 1924.  He married LIVING on 19 November 1949.  They had 3 children.  Leo was a clerical worker he died on 10 November 1969 in his 46th year.  He is buried in Masterton Cemetery in the same plot as his parents.


Thomas Wyeth

Thomas was born at Mt Bruce on 29 September 1888 the 2nd son 4th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

Thomas married Ivy Tuffnel Thompson daughter of John Louis and Caroline Elizabeth (nee Tuffnel) Thompson in 1914 at Masterton.

Ivy was born in Eketahuna on 2 September 1890 and resided in the Wairarapa throughout her life.  Her happy disposition endeared her to a large number of people and she was well known and respected in a number of circles.  She took a keen interest in a number of activities throughout the district particularly rugby and tennis of which she was an enthusiastic supporter.

Thomas and Ivy farmed for a number of years at Mount Bruce. Thomas being very well known as a sheep and cattle farmer particularly around the stock saleyards throughout the Wairarapa. Later, they took up residence at Hawkhurst, Opaki. They retired from farming in 1948 and moved to Railway Road Masterton. They were still living there when Ivy died on the 6 April 1959 aged 68. Ivy was survived by her husband 4 children and 15 grandchildren.

Thomas died on 2 December 1970 aged 82. Thomas and Ivy now share a plot in Archer St Cemetery, Masterton .

Tom's Family

Owen Alexander Wyeth

Owen was born on 5 May 1915. He married Joan Margaret Gordon Laing daughter of William Gordon and Hazel Gladys Hartley (nee Jenkinson) Laing on 27 June 1939. Joan was born in Riversdale, Wairarapa on 26 July 1915. Owen and Joan were married on 27 June 1939 and had 3 children. Owen died on 14 March 1991 at "Brookley" Kaituna, Masterton. Joan died on 1 April 2009. They are buried in Riverside Park Lawn Cemetery, Masterton

Alma Joyce Wyeth

Joyce was born in Masterton on 27 April 1917. She married James Denniston Lochore. James was born in Masterton on 26 June 1916 the son of George Edward and Harriet Ethel (nee Stone) Lochore in Masterton on 2 January 1939. James was a Grocer and a Farmer. Alma and James had 4 children. Alma died in Masterton on 29 May 1973. James died in Masterton on 22 August 1977.




Alexander George (Degs) Wyeth 

Alexander was born at Mt Bruce on 12 April1890 the 3rd son 5th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth. As a lad Alexander's older brothers and sisters thought he had very long legs and as a result named him "Degs."

On 5 May 1915 in Masterton Degs married Charlotte Phoebe (Curly) Foreman. Curly was born in Tinui on 20 June 1888 the daughter of David William and Annie (nee Mason) Foreman.

Degs moved to a farm at Gladstone, Masterton called Green Corner where in 1925 he founded the Green Corner Romney Stud.

Green Corner

The horse team belonged to Degs.

The man ploughing on the hillside is was a casual ploughman named Jim Rettie, and the photo was taken by a photographer from a magazine called “Straight Furrow”. I (Aex Gregor) was there when it was taken. Jim drove out from Masterton every day in a pneumatic tyred gig, goodness knows what time he left home in the morning. He had breakfast with us at Green Corner about 7am, after Degs came up to the house, having milked his five cows (by hand, of course.) Jim was an old Scotsman, and a great admirer of Peter Fraser, the Labour Prime Minister of the day. He liked to ride on the plough, sitting on a pillow made from a sugar bag stuffed with wool. A highly dangerous habit.

This article appeared in the 'Evening Post' in Wellington in May 1980

Degs died on 3 August 1980 aged 90 and Charlotte some three months later on 25 November 1980 aged 92. They are buried in Archer Street Cemetery, Masterton.

Degs Family

Cyril Alexander Wyeth

Cyril was born in Masterton on 13 April 1916. He married Zelma Jean (Biddie) Challis daughter of Bertram and Annie (nee Farmer) Challis in Carterton on 15 August 1940. Biddie was born on 5/8/1915. They had 1 son. Cyril died on 22 January 2003 and Biddie on 8 May 2007 both in Masterton.

Nola Phoebe Wyeth

Nola was born in Masterton on 15 December 1917. On 21 December 1940 Nola married Sydney Thomas Henderson the oldest son of Henry Thomas (Thomas) and Ellen (nee Merewood) Henderson. Sydney was born on 4 November 1908 at Te Whiti, Masterton. Nola and Sydney had 7 children. Nola died on the 4 November 1983 and Sydney in Masterton Hospital on 27 May 1994. Nola is buried at Archer St and Sydney in Riverside Park Cemeteries in Masterton.

Alton Bruce (Jim) Wyeth

Jim was born on 4 January 1927. In 1946 he married Phyllis Jean Halverson. Phyllis was born on 22 February 1926 at Oamaru the daughter of William and Annie Rebecca (nee Crisp) Halvorsen. Alton was a driver and Phyllis a Hairdresser. They had 2 children.   Phyllis died on 12 May 2000 and is buried at Riverside Park Cemetery in Masterton.


Margaret (Beaut) Wyeth

Margaret was born Mt Bruce on 5 June 1892 the 3rd daughter 6th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth. As a child Margaret's father always called her his "Beaut" daughter and the name stuck.

On 13 January 1915 Beaut married Norman Blatchford son of John and Margaret (nee Morgan) Blatchford.

(See Norman above for backgound on the Blatchford family.)

Norman was born on 26 December 1888.  Norman and his brother, farmed the family farm at Rangitumau until 1928 when it was sold. 

Norman and Margaret then took up the position of Manager at the Taratahi Agricultural Training Farm in Masterton where they were for 26 years until their retirement.

Margaret was very involved on the ladies committee of the Masterton A & P Association, She also took a great interest in the lives of the young farmers who had had their training at Taratahi, having become effectively their foster mother while they were cadets. She was a very homely, thoughtful person who loved her knitting and handiwork and was a great cook.

Norman and Beaut's tombstone in Masterton Cemetery reads "Norman died on 22/12/1974 aged 86; and his loved wife Margaret (Beaut) died on 11 February 1979 aged 86."

Margaret's Family

Rachael (nee Mcleod) Wyeth, her daughter Margaret(Beaut)Wyeth, granddaugter, Rona Blatchford and Rona's eldest daughter, Rachael's great granddaughter 

Geofry Norman Blatchford

Geoffrey was born in Masterton on 26 October 1915.  He married Jean Kathleen Clarry dau of Bede Wallace Maxey and Eliza Percy Renal ( nee Robieson) Clarry on 14 May 1946. Jean was born in Masterton on 15 December 1921. They had 3 children. They both died in 1996 in Masterton Geofry on 10 March and Jean 9 months later on 15 December.

Rona Margaret Blatchford

Rona was born at Rangitemau, Masterton on 28 January 1917. She married Alan Burt son of George and Emily (nee Wilton) Burt. Alan was born in South Featherston on 31 January 1912. They had 3 children. Alan died in Masterton on 24 December 1988 and Rona in 2009. 


Leslie Charles Wyeth

Leslie was born at Mt Bruce on 4 March 1894 the 4th son 7th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

Leslie married on 22 August 1927 to Elizabeth Mary (Lizzie) McKenzie. Lizzie was born in Rangiora, North Cantebury, New Zealand on 2 April 1905 the daughter of Thomas and Winifred Ages Mary Ann (nee Meech) McKenzie.

Charlie worked at various times as a mechanic, farm worker, and factory worker.

 Leslie died on 18 June 1968 and Lizzie, nearly 20 years later, on 30 October 1985.

Leslie's Family

Elizabeth Wyeth

Elizabeth was born in Masterton on 28 July 1931 unfortunately she also died that day.


David Thomas Wyeth

David was born in Masterton on 10 May 1938.  He married LIVING  in 1961. They had one son. In 1971 David remarried his wife being Susan Rose Horne. Susan was born on 8 August 1945. Susan died on 5 January 1992. David died in Tokoroa on 9 October 2008.  He was cremated at Hamilton Park, Hamilton.


Archibald (Archie) Wyeth 

Archie was born at Mt Bruce on 16 April 1897 the 5th son 8th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

Archie married Doris May Blatchford daughter of John and Margaret (nee Morgan) Blatchford. Ida's brother Norman and sister Doris both married into Norman's family. 

(See Norman above for backgound on the Blatchford family.)

Doris was born 16 November 1893

Archie served in 1st NZEF as a rifleman in the Rifle Brigade. No 41917. On his return for active service he was allocated a Returned servicemen's block of farm land at Westmere, Masterton.

Having no children of their own Archie and Doris became great favourites with their nieces and nephews for frequent holidays.

They lived at 9 Lansdown Cres Masterton??

Archie died 7 September 1966 aged 69 and is in a Returned Servicemans grave in Masterton Cemetery.

Doris was on her own for nearly 20 years until she died on 28 May 1984 at the age of 90.


Lila Elizabeth Mary Wyeth

Lila was born in Masterton on 22 March 1899 the 4th daughter 9th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

This photo of Lila was taken on her eldest sisters wedding day 29 April 1908.  Lila would be aged 9

Lila was married in Masterton to William Gregor,son of Alexander and Elizabeth (nee Davidson) Gregor about 1920.

William was born 5 June 1888 in Memsie near Fraserburgh in Scotland, he came to New Zealand on the ship Ruapehu in 1912.


Alexander and Elizabeth Gregor

Alexander Gregor was born on 4 February 1847 in Turriff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland the son of James and Barbara (nee Michie) Grigor. On 21 June 1873 in Rathen, Aberdeenshire he married Elizabeth Davidson. Elizabeth was born on 18 May 1949 in Scotland the daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth (nee Findlater) Davidson. Alexander and Elizabeth had 12 children.

Alexander Gregor, born 21 Dec 1873, Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 5 Apr 1909, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland

Barbara Gregor, born 16 Oct 1875, Memsie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, died 5 Apr 1953, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Mary Gregor, born 23 Aug 1877, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 15 Sep 1914, New Aberdour, Aberdeen, Scotland

James Gregor, born 12 Aug 1879, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 21 May 1905, Wellington, buried Karori Cemetery Wellington, New Zealand.

George Gregor, born 24 Feb 1881, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 3 Jul 1913, Southfield

Andrew Gregor, born 3 Jan 1883, Memsie, Rathen, Scotland, died 8 Feb 1965, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand. Andrew was Policeman in Greytown for many years.

Elizabeth Findlater Gregor, born 28 Oct 1884, Memsie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, died 23 Oct 1982, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand

Helen (Nellie) Gregor, born 27 Sep 1886, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 22 Mar 1932, New Aberdour, Aberdeen, Scotland

William Gregor, born 5 Jun 1888, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 9 Nov 1980, Tawa, Wellington, New Zealand

Penelope Gregor, born 27 Apr 1890, Memsie Near Fraserburgh, Scotland, died 27 Sep 1906 aged 16 years.

Robert Gregor, born 16 May 1892, Memsie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, died 3 Aug 1917, Belgium

John Gregor, born 27 Sep 1896, Memsie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, died 3 Aug 1916, New Aberdour, Aberdeen, Scotland 


William was a joiner and served in the army during the great war.

Lila died as a result of the birth of their second child in Carterton on 14 November 1925 aged 26, she is buried in Masterton Cemetry in the next plot to her brother Thomas.

William was remarried some years after Lila's death to Flora Rose Wyeth, youngest daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Wyeth.

Lila's Family


A Son

William and Lila had a second child on 14 November 1925. Unfortunately the baby was still born, and Lila died as a result of the birth.


Angus Sinclair (Clair or Sinclair) Wyeth

Sinclair also known as Clair was born in Masterton on 1 June 1902 the 6th son 10th child of Thomas and Margaret Wyeth.

Clair was a keen rugby player during his youth playing in the Wairarapa for Otaki & Red Star Clubs.

Sinclair was married on 29 December 1934 in Masterton to Marara Hera Atanui (Ata or Atanui) Ellison. Atanui was born on 6 December 1910 the daughter of John and Hera (nee Parata) Ellison.

After their marriage they stayed in Masterton, until late 1937 when they moved down to Puketeraki / Karitane just north of Dunedin where they had a small farm.

Clair was conscripted into Army in 1939 to Burnham, Christchurch. He departed from New Zealand in late 1939 with the 20th Battalion for the middle east. Clair was in the campaigns of Greece, Crete, & the dessert he was wounded in Sidi Rezegh where he was taken prisoner of war held by the Italians until they were overun by English Troops. He spent time in soldiers hospital in Egypt. He was then repatriated back to New Zealand where he spent sometime in the Monticello Hospital (soldiers home).

After some months in Monticello he recovered & purchased his farm at Puketeraki 570 acres, which he & Ata farmed for 12 years.

Clair died on 5 August 1967 in Puketeraki, North of Dunedin, and Ata in Dunedin on 27 July 1987.


Sinclair's Family



Last updated 12 Nov 2009

[1]Wairarapa Daily 18/1/1883 Page2 Col 4 Marriage Notice.

On 17th, instant, at Mikimiki, by the Rev., L.M.Isitt, Thomas Wyeth, third son of Mr. R. Wyeth of Masterton, to Margaret Richaline, eldest daughter of Mr. Angus McLeod of Opaki. (Wellington Papers Please copy).

[2]In Loving Memory of Thomas Wyeth born 6 March 1849 died 13 April 1940. "His memory best is loved by those to whom his living was best known." Wyeth; In loving memory of Margaret Wyeth born 12 January 1859 died 12 April 1942. "In memory's name we shall keep her because she was one of the best."

[3]Details of Roy's family are included under Elizabeth Ann Wyeth (ref WI).