Notes: Makara Cemetery, set on 84 hectares of semi-rural land in the Makara Valley, is Wellington's principal cemetery. In 1940 as Karori Cemetery edged towards full capacity, Wellington city needed to find another burial site for the population.
Makara was the chosen location. Land was bought under the Public Works Act in 1951 and 1955, and the first burial occurred in 1965.
In 2008 Makara Cemetery became the first New Zealand cemetery to offer natural burials. An open grassy area of the cemetery has been set aside for this service. A native tree is planted on each plot.